Thursday, September 2, 2010

PCOS Awareness

September is PCOS Awareness month. PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) affects millions of women - and half of them don't even know they have it. For that reason, the month of September is dedicated to raising awareness of this syndrome so that more women can be helped.

Why is this important to me? I have PCOS. I, like many others, didn't know what it was or had even heard about it until I was diagnosed. I didn't get my first period until I was 14 - and it became, and stayed, very irregular. I always had a battle with my weight, but shortly after getting married, suddenly gained 100 pounds for no explainable reason... and doctors couldn't give me any explanation for my weight gain other than "You're just happy in your life and settling down". What???
I wasn't diagnosed until I was trying to conceive and was having no luck. It took trips to several different doctors and several blood tests to finally pinpoint the issue. And, like most people, I had no clue what it was I was being diagnosed with.

What is PCOS? It is the most common female endocrine disorder, affecting approximately 5%-10% of all females. It is a hormonal disorder that involves multiple systems within the body, and is believed to be caused by insensitivity to the hormone insulin.
Some common symptoms include: irregular or no menstrual periods, irregular ovulation, excess facial and body hair, ovarian cysts, and weight management difficulties. It is not necessary to have all of these symptoms to have PCOS. In fact it is not necessary to have "polycystic ovaries" to have PCOS. PCOS manifests itself differently in each woman. I, for example, have never actually been diagnosed with having ovarian cysts. Also, about 40% of women with PCOS are of normal weight - some even under. Unfortunately, I am not one of those.

PCOS cannot be cured, but it can be managed. Diet, exercise and, in some cases, medical intervention can do a lot to help eliminate PCOS symptoms. Management of PCOS is essential. If it remains unmanaged, it can progress to diabetes and can lead to certain forms of cancer.

That's why it is so important to make women more aware of this syndrome so they can get treatment.
Maybe you have a mother, daughter, sister or friend who is overweight and not sure why. Perhaps a female friend suffers from excess facial hair but thinks it is only a cosmetic problem. Tell them they can start by taking the quiz at http://www.pcosupport/quiz.php which will help them to evaluate their risks and guide them toward seeking help from a doctor.

Help spread the word about PCOS. You never know who may learn from us and in turn, get the help they need!


*Facts from the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Association

No comments: