Saturday, June 27, 2009

Review: My Sister's Keeper

Wow! Saw this yesterday morning and was stunned! It was really an impressive movie. I am usually not a sappy movie-goer, but, goodness, I was sobbing like a baby through the whole movie.

Story in a nutshell: After their daughter is stricken with leukemia, a couple conceives another baby to provide a donor match, but the family is torn apart when, after years of medical procedures, the healthy younger sibling sues her parents for the rights to her own body and how it is used.

Now, I had read the book years ago - Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors - but I really didn't remember the smaller details or the end (I'm really wondering if I actually got around to finishing the last few chapters). I have to go back and re-read the book now because I have found out that the ending is different in the movie. I haven't found details yet as to how it differs but, for me, it didn't matter because it fit with the flow of the movie.

Whether or not you are a Jodi fan or have read the book, I recommend the movie. It is a true "chick flick" so keep that in mind when making plans :) And make sure you have plenty of napkins or kleenex with you. You will definitely need them.

All in all, I give it 2 thumbs up!

No comments: